Isometric Map

I have been drafting a huge map of the Singapore River area in preparation for a psychogeographical game to be conducted during the exhibition. While playing with googlemaps and crosschecking to see if i missed out any other landmarks this evening, I noticed that google earth is the same as google satellite except with a little bit of perspective to it.



Google Satellite



Google Earth



Animated for comparison


I've also figured out that what gives gothere.sg its unique look (and sets it apart from the other free singapore map services out there) is its additional 0.5 dimension to it, which helps provide some degree of perspective. Interestingly before this realisation, I had already decided that the map would have to have some manner of "projection" like Erwin Raisz's awesome handdrawn maps.



gothere.sg


Erwin Raisz is an American cartographer famous for the detail and readability of his maps, and for having created an armadillo-like projection which was similar to an isometric projection. Likewise I think the large map I draw will need to have some awareness of projection as it improves the readablity of maps - perhaps something like the infographic style or isometric projections which i like so much?

From an entry in my blog last year: isometric animations which i adore.









One Response

  1. P says:

    I love these videos too!! So smooth!

Leave a Reply

Followers